Before we dive into the topic of when to introduce eggs to baby, let’s address the concerns of vegetarian moms who want to include eggs in their little one’s diet. I understand that the smell of eggs can be off-putting at first, but don’t worry, with regular exposure, you can easily get used to it. So, let’s explore the best time to introduce eggs and discover the wonderful benefits they offer for your baby’s nutrition and development.
When to Introduce Eggs to Baby?
There are different school of thoughts when it comes to when to introduce eggs to baby.
There was a general belief that eggs cause allergy and are to be given only after 1 year.
A recent research¹ states that ” There is NO evidence that delaying the introduction of any specific food beyond 6 months of age helps to prevent allergy ”
The below recommendations are based on my research and experience, do consult your baby’s pediatrician for your baby’s feeding needs.
1. Introduce Egg Yolk after completion of 6 months (after introducing basic foods).
2. If there is no reaction and baby accepts the egg without any allergies, then egg white and whole egg can be given.
How to introduce eggs to Babies?
When to introduce eggs to baby can be daunting, but don’t worry! Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to introduce eggs and in what form. Let’s make this process easier for you and your little one.
Hard Boiled Egg Yolk for Babies
When to introduce eggs to baby can be done by starting with hard-boiled yolk. Here’s how:
1. Hard boil the egg, remove the yolk and blend it with Khichdi with a fork or masher.
2. Cut the hard boiled egg into small cubes, fry them in a ghee with a little pepper or jeera powder and can be given as finger food.
Scrambled Egg Yolk Recipes for Babies
After trying the hard boiled egg yolk, if your baby doesn’t have any reaction, you can move on with the following recipes
3. Remove the egg yolk from the whole egg and in a kadai, add a little oil, pour the egg yolk, add a pinch of pepper or jeera powder scramble it and can be given as finger food.
4. With the same method as of the above, a little cheese can be added while scrambling for a more soft texture.
5. Steam small bits of carrots and potatoes and add them to the egg yolk while scrambling, it makes one wholesome egg dish 🙂
Egg Yolk Omelette Recipes for Babies
6. Plain Omelette – Remove the egg yolk from the whole egg, add a little pepper or jeera powder and pour it on a tawa greased with ghee, after it is nicely cooked. Cut the omelette into strips and give as finger food.
7. Cheese Omelette – To the above recipe add a little grated cheese for soft fluffy omelettes.
8. Vegetable Omelette – Add 1/4 cup of steamed veggies to the egg yolk, beat it well and make omelette.
Egg Yolk Appe Recipes
9. Egg Muffin – Mix the egg yolk with mixed vegetables and cook in them in a appe or Kulipaniyram tray.
10. Egg Balls – Mix egg yolk with dosa batter well and pour in appe or kulipaniyram tray and give as finger food.
When to give Whole Egg to babies?
After you have tried the egg yolk recipes, if your baby is comfortable and doesn’t have any reaction, you can go give whole egg.
The whole Egg can be given in the same way as egg yolk.
How many eggs can be given in a day to babies?
When you start introducing eggs, first start with one teaspoon of hard boiled yellow yolk, after that can be slowly increased to One full egg per day.
Words of Caution
Please make sure that the eggs are cooked fully, never give half cooked eggs to babies as they may have salmonella and may cause food poisoning.
Tackling allergy to Eggs in Babies
If your baby develops allergy to eggs then, the following symptoms are likely to be seen:
- Cranky and crying – due to tummy ache
- Runny Nose or Sore throat
- Difficulty in Breathing
Rush to your doctor or emergency immediately if you notice any of these.
For more egg recipes for your little one, do check out our list of 14 Egg Recipes for Babies.
Do share with us by commenting below if you have any specific concern in introducing egg to babies?