You’ve probably heard of the popular ‘Sunday ho ya Monday, roz khao ande!’ advertisement by the National Egg Coordination Committee. The campaign was aimed towards encouraging people to eat more eggs, thereby improving their strength, immunity and overall health. As you can imagine, this is particularly important for babies, whose bodies grow at the speed of light!
Many experts recommend egg yolks as an excellent first food for weaning babies. While there is a small risk of allergies, it’s extremely rare, and you need to be cautious only if there is a known allergy of eggs in the family. To know more, you can check out our post on the ideal age to introduce eggs to your baby.
Nutritional Benefits of Eggs
- A whole egg contains 13 vital nutrients, including nutrients that are not easily available in other foods like folate, choline and Vitamin D
- Eggs are a good source of healthy fats and cholesterol that are essential for the development of a baby’s mind and body
- Egg yolks are rich in iron, a nutrient that even breast-fed babies may lack
- Eggs also contain DHA, an essential nutrient for healthy development
14 Egg Recipes for Babies
Hard Boiled Egg Yolk Recipes for Babies
It is better to give hard boiled yolk when you first introduce egg yolk to your baby. You can start with hard boiling the egg, removing the yolk and mashing it.
1. Try an egg yolk mash with orange juice as a breakfast recipe for babies, once she is familiar with egg yolks and orange juice separately.
2. Cut the hard boiled egg into small cubes, fry them in a ghee with a little pepper or jeera powder and serve as finger food.
You can also mix the mashed egg yolk with khichdi.
Scrambled Egg Yolk Recipes for Babies
After trying the hard boiled egg yolk, if your baby doesn’t have any reaction, you can move on with the following recipes.
3. Remove the egg yolk from the whole egg and in a kadai, add a little oil, pour the egg yolk, add a pinch of pepper or jeera powder and scramble it.
4. With the same method as of the above, a little cheese can be added while scrambling for a more soft texture.
5. Steam small bits of carrots and potatoes and add them to the egg yolk while scrambling, it makes a wholesome meal for the baby.
Egg Yolk Omelette Recipes for Babies
6. Plain Omelette – Remove the egg yolk from the whole egg, add a little pepper or jeera powder and pour it on a tawa greased with ghee and cook it on low heat. Cut the omelette into strips and give as finger food.
7. Cheese Omelette – To the above recipe add a little grated cheese for soft fluffy omelettes.
8. Vegetable Omelette – Add 1/4 cup of steamed veggies to the egg yolk, beat it well and make an omelette.
9. Egg Yolk Muffins – Mix egg yolks with mixed vegetables and either bake them in a muffin pan or cook in them in a Kuzhipaniyram tray.
Whole Egg Recipes for Babies
Once your baby is ready for whole eggs, there are many recipes you can try. Just offer it as finger food and let baby figure out how to eat it on his own.
10. Frittata Fingers – This is a hearty frittata from My Fussy Eater that uses vegetables as well as cheese and whole eggs.
11. Vegetable Egg Patties – These baked patties are a healthier option than fried ones, and can be made with an assortment of vegetables.
12. Two-Ingredient Pancakes – You need just bananas and eggs to make these easy and yummy pancakes from My Fussy Eater.
13. Broccoli Egg Souffles – This is a soft, fluffy egg souffle that includes crumbled broccoli and herbs for seasoning.
14. Egg Pudding – Sugar is not recommended for babies under one, and this egg pudding, flavored with cinnamon and vanilla, is perfect for infants.
Always take the advice of your pediatrician before introducing eggs or any new food to your baby. Once she gets used to the taste of eggs, she’ll be more open to try a variety of dishes. You’ll soon have a little egg-lover in your home!
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers