There are many commercial available sathu maavu preparations in the market, they also work out good, but making the health mix at home helps to customize the ingredients according to your baby’s need.
I know it is very difficult to prepare such cumbersome powders for moms who are in nuclear families. Believe me !! I completed the whole process from roasting to grinding in 1 hour. Keep all the ingredients ready, Roast all the ingredients in 2 kadai in two burners, please take care they should not be burnt. Remove them to plate immediately after roasting to let it cool, by the time you dry roast the last ingrdient, others will be in room temperature and you can grind them in a jify.
If you are grinding it in a power mill, give 1 kg of wheat or rice to grind before grinding this health mix, as the power mill grinds an array of masalas, chillies etc which may contaminate the baby health powder.
If you want you can still save the time and effort of buying the ingredients, roasting, grinding, etc. by ordering homemade Sathu Maavu Health Mix Here.
Sathumaavu Health Mix Recipe Video
How to make Home made Cerelac or Sathu Maavu or Health Mix for Babies?
Start with 2 tablespoons of the Sathu Maavu or health mix porridge the first day and slowly introduce slowly.
The ingredients for the sathu maavu can be flexible. I have used a set of ingredients, your health mix can be the same or with options that are listed below.
1. 1.5 cup White/Brown Rice
2. 1 cup Black Urad Dal
3. 1 cup Green Gram
4. 1 cup Roasted Gram
5. 1 cup Moong Dal
6. 1 cup Masoor dal
7. 1 cup Wheat Dalia
8. 1/2 cup Sago
9. 1/2 cup Horse gram
10.1/2 cup Corn
11.1/2 cup Almonds
12.1/2 cup Cashew
13.10 pods Elachi
Other ingredient options
Ragi – I didn’t add ragi because I use sprouted Ragi seperately to make Ragi Powder & Ragi porridge.
Ajwain and Cumin instead of Elachi
You can also employ the same method for larger quantities. The ingredients can also be sprouted, dried, roasted and powdered. The sprouted version is very healthy and nutritious but is a time consuming process. You need atleast 2 days to complete the process.
Check the Detailed Step by Step Sprouted Homemade Helath Mix or Homemade Cerelac Recipe
While making this sathu maavu powder, use clean dry utensils or the powder will get spoiled soon.
Soak all the ingredients in water for 10 minutes, rinse and dry them.
1. Dry roast all the ingredients as follows
Roast till they become little like puffed rice.
Roast them till they are little dry and crispy.
d) Wheat Daliya
Roast them golden brown.
e) Horse gram
Roast them till dry and crispy.
f) Roasted Gram
Roast them till crispy.
g) Green Gram
Roast them till the color changes form green to mild brown
Roast them golden brown or till they crackle.
i) Almonds &Elachi
Roast till they leave aroma.
Roast till golden brown
3. The roasted ingredients can either be powdered by blender or mixer grinder or in power mill.
4. Sift the the ground flour to make it more finer.
5. The sifted flour can be stored in an airtight container for atleast 4 to 6 months.
No time to prepare this powder at home? Don’t worry, we prepare it hygienically and ship it to your doorstep
How to prepare Sathu Maavu/Health Mix Porridge for Babies
Mix 2 tablespoon of sathu maavu powder with water without lumps. Cook the mixture in medium flame for atleast 10 minutes. Fruit Purees can be added to the porridge to make it sweet.
How to prepare Sathu Maavu/Health Mix Porridge for Adults
1. To a cup of milk add a half cup of water with 2 tablespoon of this sathu maavu powder. Mix without lumps.Cook them in low flame till the mixture is completely cooked. Add sugar and serve hot….
2. Add 2 tablespoon to a cup of water, mix without lumps. Cook it in medium flame. After it is cooked add buttermilk and pinch of salt and serve warm…..
To improve the nutritious value of this sathu maavu powder, Dry Fruits Powder can be added after cooking this porridge for babies.
You can also check out these Homemade Instant Porridge Mix recipes which contains Bajra/kambu, Jowar, ragi and more. Just add hot water and the porridge is cooked. It is an Ideal Travel food for babies too.
Check here to read about the Frequently Asked Questions about making of SathuMaavu Powder
Nutritional information of Sathu Maavu powder
|Rice||Good source of dietary fiber & carbohydrate|
|Black Urad Dal||Rich in protein, Vitamin B complex|
|Masoor Dal||Packed with protein, fiber, iron and folate|
|Horse Gram||1/4th of it contains protein, good source of iron, calcium, molybdenum|
|Wheat Dalia||It is rich in carbohydrate, protein and magnesium|
|Green Gram||It is rich in protein, dietary fiber, Iron and magnesium|
|Sago||It is rich in carbohydrate, and has high calorific value|
|Corn||It has high carbohydrate content and protein, vitamin B6, is an antioxidant|
|Cashew||It is rich in good fat and magnesium, vitamin B6 , protein|
|Almond||It is high in fat and proteins, calcium and magnesium|
|Elachi||It is rich in dietary fiber and Iron|
Go Organic!! You can buy Organic Ingredients for Health Mix Powder
2. Protein quality of developed home made weaning foods Gupta C1, Sehgal S.
- 1.5 cup White/Brown Rice
- 1 cup Black Urad Dal
- 1 cup Green Gram
- 1 cup Roasted Gram
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 1 cup Masoor dal
- 1 cup Wheat Dalia
- ½ cup Sago
- ½ cup Horse gram
- ½ cup Corn
- ½ cup Almonds
- ½ cup Cashew
- 10 pods Elachi
- Soak all the ingredients in water for 10 minutes, rinse and dry them.
- Roast Rice till they become little like puffed rice.
- Roast Dal golden brown.
- Roast Sago till they are little dry and crispy.
- Roast Wheat Daliya golden brown.
- Roast Horse Gram till dry and crispy.
- Roast roasted bengal gram till crispy.
- Roast Green Gram till the color changes form green to mild brown
- Roast corn golden brown or till they crackle.
- Roast Almonds and Elachi till they leave aroma.
- Roast Cashew till golden brown
- Let them cool for few minutes.
- The roasted ingredients can either be powdered by blender or mixer grinder or in power mill.
- Sift the the ground flour to make it more finer.
- The sifted flour can be stored in an airtight container for atleast 4 to 6 months.
Mix 2 tablespoon of sathu maavu powder with water without lumps. Cook the mixture in medium flame for atleast 10 minutes. Fruits can be added to the porridge to make it sweet.
How to prepare Sathu Maavu/Health Mix Porridge for Adults
1. To a cup of milk add a half cup of water with 2 tablespoon of this sathu maavu powder. Mix without lumps.Cook them in low flame till the mixture is completely cooked. Add sugar and serve hot....
2. Add 2 tablespoon to a cup of water, mix without lumps. Cook it in medium flame. After it is cooked add buttermilk and pinch of salt and serve warm.....