Pumpkins are loaded with vitamin C and other nutrients and Pumpkin Puree makes a perfect nutritional first food for your baby.
Read more for the Pumpkin puree recipe for babies.
Please follow the 3 Day Rule before introducing any new food.
When Can I give Pumpkin to my baby?
Pumpkin can be started at 6 months for your baby.
Nutritional Benefits of Pumpkin for baby
1. It is rich in dietary fiber and prevents constipation.
2. It helps build a strong immune system.
3. It has antibacterial quality and kills intestinal worms.
4. It is rich in antioxidants.
How to select Pumpkin for Babies?
Select a pumpkin that is firm from outside and not too ripe, if buying as wedges select one that is deep orange in colour.
How to make Pumpkin Puree for Babies?
How to make Pumpkin Puree
- Cut the required wedge of pumpkin from the whole vegetable.
- Cube the pumpkin into small pieces.
- Pumpkin can be steamed or baked, steaming is recommended for babies food as it preserves the nutrients in it.
- Take the pumpkin cubes in a cup and place it inside a pressure cooker filled half with water.
- Place it on the stove in medium flame.
- After 1 whistle, remove the cooker and let it cool.
- Remove the cup from the cooker with help of thongs.
- Mash the cooked pumpkin with a masher or hand.
- If you want a smooth consistency, it can be blended in a mixer.
- If the puree is very thick in consistency, little formula feed or breastfeed can be added to make it runny.
“Pumpkin Puree for baby is ready”
- 100 gm yields about 26 kcal.
- It is rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals and vitamin-like A, C, and E.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
- A wedge of yellow or white pumpkin
- Cut the required wedge of pumpkin.
- Peel the skin and remove the seeds.
- Cut them into small cubes.
- Place them in a katori and inside a pressure cooker filled with water.
- Leave it till 2 to 3 whistles.
- After it cools, remove the steamed pumpkin.
- Either Mash with Potato Masher or blend them.
- A pinch of jeera powder can be added for seasoning
To thin out the puree, breastmilk or formula can be added
A pinch of jeera powder can be added to enhance the taste