When it comes to the perfect addition to your baby’s diet, there is no doubt that pumpkin puree for babies is at the top of the list. Not only is it packed with vitamins and minerals, but it also provides parents with a host of other benefits. Curious to learn more about this delicious and healthy dish? Read on!
When Can I Give Pumpkin to My Baby?
Pumpkin puree for babies is loaded with vitamin C and other essential nutrients. It makes a perfect nutritious first food for your baby. Pumpkin can be started after 6 months completion.
Nutritional Benefits of Pumpkin for baby
1. It is rich in dietary fiber and prevents constipation.
2. It helps build a strong immune system.
3. It has antibacterial quality and kills intestinal worms.
4. It is rich in antioxidants.
5. It’s loaded with vitamin A, zeaxanthin and lutein, which are helpful in maintaining healthy eyes.
How to select Pumpkin for Babies?
Both white and yellow pumpkins are good for babies. Select a pumpkin that is firm from outside and not too ripe, if buying as wedges select one that is deep orange in colour.
How to make Pumpkin Puree for Babies?
- Pumpkin – 1 wedge
- Jeera powder – 1 pinch
1. Cut the required wedge of pumpkin from the whole vegetable.
2. Peel, deseed and cube the pumpkin into small pieces.
3. Pumpkin can be steamed or baked, steaming is recommended for babies food as it preserves the nutrients in it.
4. Take the pumpkin cubes in a cup and place it inside pan/ or a pressure cooker filled half with water.
5. Place it on the stove in medium flame.
6. After 1 whistle, remove the cooker and let it cool.
7. If using pan, close the pan with lid. It has to cooked for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pieces turns soft.
8. Remove the cup from the cooker with help of thongs.
9. Mash the cooked pumpkin with a masher or hand.
10. If you want a smooth consistency, it can be blended in a mixer. Add jeera powder.
11. If the puree is very thick in consistency, little formula feed or breastfeed can be added to make it runny.
“Pumpkin Puree for baby is ready”
- 100 gm yields about 26 kcal.
- It is rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals and vitamin-like A, C, and E.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is pumpkin puree good for babies?
Yes, pumpkin is extremely healthy. It’s a best first food which helps to increase the immunity of growing babies. Pumpkin puree is rich in vitamins, fiber, iron, potassium and several other nutrients. It has several health benefits from head to toe.
Does pumpkin constipate a baby?
Pumpkin is fiber rich and hence good to treat constipation and help in maintaining the gut health of babies.
Can I give my baby canned pumpkin?
Giving fresh homemade pumpkin puree is the best for babies, as its fresh and free from preservatives or additives.
Can I give my 6 month old pumpkin?
Yes, pumpkin is good to be given as a first food. It can be given after 6 months completion.
Does pumpkin increase baby weight?
Pumpkin is a nutritious, starchy vegetable which helps in weight gain of babies. It’s a wholesome first food for babies.
Pumpkin Puree for Babies
- A wedge of yellow or white pumpkin
- Cut the required wedge of pumpkin.
- Peel the skin and remove the seeds.
- Cut them into small cubes.
- Place them in a katori and inside a pressure cooker filled with water.
- Leave it till 2 to 3 whistles.
- After it cools, remove the steamed pumpkin.
- Either Mash with Potato Masher or blend them.
- A pinch of jeera powder can be added for seasoning
To thin out the puree, breastmilk or formula can be added
A pinch of jeera powder can be added to enhance the taste
Post updated on 22June22