Bottle gourd or Lauki, as it is more commonly known in India, is a very popular vegetable in Indian households, and with good reason! It is a powerhouse of nutrients and bottlegourd puree or lauki puree is perfect for babies as it doesn’t have an intense taste or smell.
How to Make Lauki Puree/Bottlegourd Puree for Babies?
- Half of 1 medium sized Lauki
- Moong Dal – 1 tbsp
- Jeera powder – a pinch
1. Wash and peel the Lauki.
2. Cut the peeled lauki into small cubes.
3. In a pressure cooker, add the lauki and moong dal (washed) with 50 ml of water.
4. Cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame.
5. Let it cool. Add jeera powder to it.
6. Either mash or blend it to puree.
7. The nutritious bottle gourd / lauki puree is ready to be served 🙂
While selecting the vegetable for babies, select the small lauki with skin free of blemishes and black spots. Lauki has several health benefits. It helps to relieve constipation. It is also rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium and Vitamin A,C. It’s a non allergenic perfect food for babies which contains more than 90% of water and is thus very good for baby’s gut health.
- Half of 1 medium sized Lauki (Bottle Gourd)
- 1 tbsp Moong Dal
- A pinch of Jeera (Cumin) powder
- Wash and peel the Lauki.
- Cut the peeled lauki into small cubes.
- In a pressure cooker, add the lauki and moong dal with 50 ml of water.
- Cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame.
- After it cools, add jeera powder and either mash it or blend it to make a soft puree.