Your baby has a tiny little tummy, starting with the size of a marble at birth! This does get bigger as baby grows, but it’s still smaller than most Moms think it is. The result is that babies can only eat a little in one go, and it is up to Mom to make sure that that little packs a lot in terms of nutrients.
And that’s where today’s beetroot chickpea puree recipe is a winner! This creamy and flavorful puree is easy to make and requires just 3 ingredients, but these three are so nutritious, they can beat everything else! Beetroots are rich in minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium as well as Vitamins A, B, K, E and vitamin C. All these help to purify blood, improve heart health and promote strong bones. Beetroots are a great source of lysine, an essential amino acid that your body can’t produce on its own, which also helps to improve immunity in babies. This is why we’ve featured other beetroot recipes for babies on the blog earlier – beetroot potato puree, beetroot halwa and carrot beetroot soup. Okay, sounds like it’s time to learn how to make this awesome beetroot chickpea puree for babies!
Beetroot Chickpea Puree for Babies
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 beetroot
- 1/4 cup curd
1.Rinse and soak the chickpeas in enough water for 8 hours. Drain, rinse and put the chickpeas in a steel vessel.
2. Wash, peel and chop the beetroot into small chunks.
3. Pressure cook beetroot chunks and chickpeas in separate containers.
4. Once cool, blend the cooked beetroot and chickpeas along with curd.
5. Add boiled water as needed to attain a puree consistency and blend again to get a lump free smooth puree.
6. Serve immediately. You can add a small pinch of jeera powder if you like.
There are many ways you can use this beetroot chickpea puree. Serve it as it is to baby, or mix with steamed or ghee rice. It’s also a good idea for fussy toddlers, considering the vibrant pink color is so attractive! You can use it as a spread on bread or toast or use it as a dip for finger food and as a dressing for salads. The chickpea’s high protein and fiber content makes this a filling meal, while the curd offers a cooling effect along with probiotic properties. The perfect dinner for your little one to keep her full so she can sleep well till next morning!
Beetroot Chickpea Puree
- • 1/4 cup chickpeas
- • 1/2 beetroot
- • 1/4 cup curd
- Rinse and soak the chickpeas in enough water for 8 hours.
- Drain, rinse the chickpeas and place them in a container.
- Wash, peel and chop the beetroot.
- Pressure cook beetroot chunks and chickpeas in separate containers.
- Allow to cool them.
- Blend the cooked beetroot, chickpeas along with curd in a blender jar.
- Add boiled water as per need to attain a puree consistency and blend again to get a lump free smooth puree.
- Serve warm