As promised in the 10 Easy Khichdi Recipes I am back with the 10 easy baby porridge recipe.
Next to purees, porridges are the favorite among mothers to start as first food. Believe me there are at least 10 different variations for each porridge, I have tried to present the ones which are baby friendly and easily digestible.
1. Rice Cereal porridge.
2. Broken Wheat Porridge.
3. Ragi Porridge.
4. Health Mix/ Sathu Maavu Porridge.
5. Oats Porridge.
6. Apple Oats Porridge.
7. Apple Rice Cereal Porridge.
8. Sabudana Porridge.
9. Sooji Porridge.
10.Makhana/Lotus Seeds Porridge.
10 Easy Baby Porridge Recipe
1. Rice Cereal Porridge
Age – Can be given from 6 months
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 tablespoon Homemade Rice Cereal Powder
- In a pan, bring the water to boil.
- Add the Homemade Rice Cereal Powder and stir continuously without lumps.
- Stir till it becomes thick and creamy.
- Breastmilk or formula can be added to make it runny.
- Any fruit can be added for sweetness.
For Step by Step pictures click here.
No time to prepare Rice cereal at home, don’t worry, you can buy organic and Homemade Rice cereal Here.
2. Wheat Dalia Porridge
Age – Can be given after 7 months.
- 2 tablespoon Broken Wheat/ Dalia
- Roasted Almond Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Pressure cook Dalia with 1 cup of water for 3 whistles.
- After it cools blend it in a mixer.
- Add the almond powder and serve.
- Banana/apple puree can be added for sweetness.
Alternatively the dalia can be dry roasted till it emits a nutty fragrance and then powdered. It can be cooked in water for 10 minutes, after cooking the almond powder can be added.
Notes – You can also use our Instant Wheat Dalia Elaichi powder for the same recipe instead of pressure cooking the dalia
3. Ragi Porridge
Age – Can be given from 6 months.
- A tablespoon of Homemade Ragi powder.
- ½ cup of water (can be adjusted according to consistency needed.
- Mix the ragi powder and water without any lumps.
- Heat them in medium flame for 5 to 10 minutes till the ragi is well cooker.
Sprouting Ragi may be time strenuous for many moms, if so then you can buy our Organic Homemade Sprouted Ragi Powder
4. Health Mix/ Sathu Maavu Porridge
Age – Can be given from 7 months.
- 2 Tablespoon Home made Health Mix Powder
- ½ cup water.
- Mix the health mix powder with water without lumps
- Place them in medium heat till the porridge is cooked.
UPDATED – Here is another healthy recipe for Sprouted HealthMix / Home cerelac Porridge for babies
5. Oats Porridge
Age – can be given from 6 months.
Oats are one of the least allergenic food.
Click the link to know the Oats Porridge Recipe
If you wish to give Organic oats porridge to your baby, you can check this link for more details
6. Apple Oats Porridge
The recipe is similar to the Oats Porridge recipe, apple is added for additional flavor and sweetness.
See Here for Step by Step procedure.
7. Apple Rice Cereal Porridge
- 2 Tablespoon of Homemade Rice Cereal Powder
- ½ Apple
- ½ cup of Water.
- Wash and peel the apple
- Cut into small pieces
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add the rice powder and stir it continuously to prevent lump formation.
- Add the cut apple pieces.
- Stir it till it becomes thick, and both the apple and rice should have cooked well.
- Remove from flame, blend it in a mixer for smooth consistency.
8. Sabudana Porridge
Age – Can be given from 7 months
- 2 tablespoon Sabudana pearls
- 1 pinch elachi powder
- 1 pinch almond powder.
- Wash the sabudana in running water few times till the water is clear.
- Depending on the type of the sabudana, soak for 15 to 20 minutes (if small) and overnight (if they are large)
- In boiling water add the sabudana till it turns translucent.
- Switch off the gas.
- Garnish with elachi and almond powder.
9. Sooji Porridge
Age – Can be given after 6 months and after starting solids
- Sooji – 1 cup
- Ghee – 2 teaspoon
- Elachi powder – 1 pinch
- Water – 3 cup
- Dry roast sooji in a tawa. It can be either powdered or used as whole.
- In a pan, heat the 3 cups of water and allow it to boil.
- Add the roasted sooji slowly to the boiling water and mix without lumps.
- After the sooji is 1/3 cooked, mix it continuously to prevent lump formation.
- When the sooji is 3/4 th cooked, add ghee.
- Mix well and switch off the flame after the sooji is well cooked.
- A pinch of elachi powder can be added.
- Breast milk or formula can be added to make it more runny.
10. Makhana/Lotus Seeds Porridge
Age – Can be given after 6 months after the introduction of all the basic first foods.
To know how to make porridge from the lotus seeds click here.
How can you give your baby different types of Makhana Porridges ?
Makhana can be bland for babies, you can try out yummy combinations listed below
If you’re short on time, you can also order homemade, organic, 100% natural and preservative-free porridge mixes on our Shop here.
If you’re short of time, you can also order these homemade, organic, preservative-free porridges on our shop here.
1. Thinning the porridge can be done with either breast milk or formula.
2. Natural sweeteners like apple or banana can be added.
3. Never add formula while cooking the porridge, add it after the porridge is cooked.
4. Fruits like banana, apple, pear, papaya can be added to the porridge to increase the nutritive value and also enhance the taste.
5. Dry Fruits Powder can also be added to increase the nutritive value.
If your baby has recently started on solids, you might also be wondering what kind of feeding chair is best for your baby. Check out our detailed post – High Chair Vs Booster Seat: Your Ultimate Guide to Buying a Feeding Chair.
Next post in this series is “10 Easy Fruit Puree Recipes for Babies”
Updated on 12/08/2015