How to make Makhana Porridge/Makhana Kheer for babies?
- 100 gms of Makhana
- 1 teaspoon of jaggery ( for sweet version – makhana kheer for babies above 1 year)
- 1/2 teaspoon of jeera ( for savoury version )
1. Makhana seeds can be bought in any grocery store, make sure there is no added ingredients.
4. Powder the roasted seeds.
5. Sieve it to a fine powder .
6. Store them in an airtight container.
7. When needed, to a 2 tablespoon of powder add 30 ml of warm water , mix without lumps and serve.
8. For older babies, a pinch of salt and jeera powder can be added to enhance the taste.
Update: It seems that many babies didn’t like the bland taste, as per my Facebook page fans, so here is a solution. For the savory version, add a pinch of jeera or ajwain powder. For the sweet version, add fruit purees for babies under one year and a spoon of jaggery syrup for toddlers.
Nutritional benefits of Makhana/ Lotus seeds for Babies
100 gms yield about 350 calories of energy.
1 ounce of lotus seeds has approximately 5 gms of proteins.
They are very good source of protein, magnesium, potassium and phosphorous.
Will be posting more No Cook recipes soon, please be updated by following me on Google +, Twitter, Pinterest or liking my Facebook Page My Little Moppet.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
- 100 gm of Makhana
- 1 teaspoon of jaggery (for sweet version for toddlers)
- ½ teaspoon of jeera powder or cumin powder (for savory version)
- Cut the makhana into half to check for worms
- Dry roast the makhana till nice aroma arises
- Let them cool
- Powder it in a blender
- Sieve till a fine powder is obtained.
- When needed, to a 2 tablespoon of powder add 30 ml of warm water , mix without lumps and serve.