Baby Poop matters more !!!
How do you know your little one is constipated ?
The normal bowel movement varies from baby to baby and also depend on the age and type of feeding .
Each baby has a different bowel movement and to tell the baby to be constipated, there should be a gross change in the routine.
I have seen babies in pediatrics OPD who poop only once in 4 days.
Usually you can wait upto 7 days for a breastfed baby and 4 days for a formula fed baby to declare them constipated.
Signs of constipation .
1. If the poop is very hard and pebble like and dry, it is a sign of constipation as it indicates that poop has been in the rectum for longer period leading to the absorption of water from it.
2. If the baby cries during straining to pass stools.
3. Blood in stools, it might be due to rupture of tiny blood vessels due to severe straining.
4. Constipation accompanied with vomiting and belly tenderness.
How to Relieve Constipation in babies?
1. Breastmilk is a natural laxative, so continue breastfeeding even if the baby is constipated. In a exclusively breastfed baby, consult a pediatrician if the baby has any of the above signs and does not poop even after 7 days.
2. If your baby is formula fed, then try changing the formula.
” P ” Food
Prune juice is very effective. Also increase the fiber intake of the baby.
4. Avoid the following foods, carrots, rice cereal, bread, potatoes, apple sauce (remember apple juice may help relieve constipation) , squash, yogurt. The foods that cause constipation varies between babies, maintain a food dairy and make a note of foods that cause constipation in your little one and try to avoid them.
5. If your baby is on solid food, give water in between the feeds which helps in prevention of dehydration and also increases the water content of stools and softening the stools.
6. For Babies above 4 months, try to make them sit in a squatting position to facilitate the easy passage of stool.
7. The baby can be placed in a tub of warm water, the warmth will help to relax the muscles and aid in easy defecation.
8. Mix ” ONE DROP ” of castor oil with a few drops of breastmilk and apply it on the babies tongue, take care to wash your hands properly before giving the mixture.
9. Massage the belly lightly with either castor or coconut oil.
10. Using laxatives and suppositories should be the last resort, as the baby may get used to it, and pass stools only when they are used.
Consult a pediatrician immediately if the baby has the following symptoms
3. Incessant Cry.
4. Blood in stools.
5. Rigid and taut Belly.
Hope this article was useful in answering your queries on ways to relieve constipation in babies….Any questions please comment below, will answer it as soon as possible.
For more such informative articles follow me on Google +, Twitter, Pinterest or by liking my Facebook page My Little Moppet.
If worried about the child’s weight, refer to the list of recipes for healthy weight gain in 10 baby weight gaining foods.
The content in this article is only for informational purposes and does not substitute medical advice. Always consult your pediatrician for issues and queries regarding your baby’s well-being.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
photo credit: tornatore via photopin cc
photo credit: ulterior epicure via photopin cc
photo credit: shingleback via photopin cc