Coconut oil is one of the most nourishing oils you can apply on the skin of your child. The molecular structure of coconut oil is such that it is quickly absorbed into the cell structure of the connective tissues. This means it can restore damaged skin and has lasting effects, unlike most creams and lotions designed to “heal” external issues.
While there’re some pretty apparent ways in which infants and children can benefit from coconut oil, there’re also some others you may have overlooked. In this article, we will introduce to you six ways which you can use coconut oil on infants and children.
6 Ways to Use Coconut Oil For Kids Health
1. Coconut Oil For Baby Acne
Baby acne is a typical baby skin condition. The skin of the baby will appear tiny pimples, especially in the face. Baby acne is common to babies who are up to one month from birth, yet naturally, clears out on its own.
Though with that expectation, we still tend to seek remedies on how to remove it quickly. Luckily, coconut oil is a great home remedy in treating this condition. If you are finding a gentle way to soothe the discomfort of the baby, this oil is perfect. Below are benefits coconut oil can offer:
- Ordinary disinfectant properties
- High content of nutrients
- Great moisturizer
- A high amount of Vitamin E for the growth of healthy skin and damaged skin repair
- Saturated fats which make skin smooth to touch. Lauric Acid is anti-microbial saturated fat which can clear out the acne from babies.
How To Use:
Step 1: Prepare the coconut oil
You need a little amount of oil to cover the affected areas of your baby.
Step 2: Clean the affected area with mild soap and pat dry
It is vital that you cleanse your baby’s the affected skin properly before applying the oil and make sure the skin is dehydrated since applying oil to the dirty skin will make the condition even worse. Dirt will be trapped with oil and create more infection to the skin of your baby.
Step 3: Use any ointment or medication that are prescribed by the physician
If the doctor gives you medicine for the acne, apply it according to the instructions. If there’s none, proceed to the next step. As you use any medication, it is best to try it on the skin with no infection to ensure there’s no skin allergic reaction.
Step 4: Spread a thin layer of coconut oil over the affected area
Remember to not put a lot of oil which is more than what the skin can absorb. Because putting more will be a waste and no longer valid. When you apply coconut oil for the first time, it already creates a protective skin layer. Hence more oil applied can no longer penetrate.
Step 5: Let it stay on the skin of your baby for 20-25 minutes
Usually, the skin will absorb the oil naturally
Step 6: Get rid of the excess oil with a warm washcloth
However, only in case you apply more than what is needed; the tendency is that the skin of the baby will be oily. Oily skin will invite more dirt to stick that worsens the condition. Therefore, after waiting for oil to soak into the skin, you need to use a warm cloth to wipe the skin of the baby gently.
Step 7: Do this twice a day
Even when you see the apparent results, applying coconut oil must be continuous for prevention.
2. Coconut Oil For Burns
Coconut oil is a significant source of nutrients for healing the wound. It contains useful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, so it can aids in preventing the recently treated skin from getting any kinds of infection. Combining a few drops of lemon juice with coconut oil will help lighten the mark which is left behind by the burn. So make sure coconut oil is a part of your first aid kit.
3. Coconut Oil For Eczema
Eczema is a condition causing the skin to become very dry, and hence there could be itching as well. This is very common in babies because their skin is quite sensitive and can dry out quickly. The disorder often goes away by itself when the baby grows, yet it can be uncomfortable and can result in infection in case your baby scratches the dry areas. Using coconut oil that is an excellent hydrating agent can give some relief to your child.
How To Use:
- Massage the baby’s skin with coconut oil before bath time and once at bedtime to provide enough moisture and hydration to the skin.
- By using coconut oil regularly, your baby’s eczema is going to decrease gradually.
4. Coconut Oil For Insect Bites
Babies have sensitive skin, so the areas where insects bite can soon turn red and cause swelling. Plus, it can turn into an infection. Coconut oil contains natural anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties; therefore, if you use it for curing the insect bites of your baby, it will lower the risk of an infection and will aid in bringing down the swelling too. Check out our post on home remedies for bug bites.
How To Use:
- Take some coconut oil in your hands, and then rub it between the palms to warm it up.
- Next, apply it on the skin of your baby where the insect bite is visible. Ensure you don’t rub down hard since it may cause more discomfort and pain to your baby.
- Leave it on until the next bath time of the baby. You will soon notice the improvement in swelling and redness.
5. Coconut Oil For Lice Treatment
Sometimes, if there is someone in your house which is affected with lice, your baby is also likely to catch the bug. While it’s possible to take out lice by using a louse comb, this way is going to scratch and hurt the scalp of your baby. If your baby has lice, it can result in a lot of discomfort and itchiness. There’s also the chance of the lice getting into the ears and eyes of the baby if the infestation is large. Fortunately, the antifungal and antibacterial properties of coconut oil will help control the spread of lice and prevent a new infestation as well. Here are more home remedies for head lice.
How To Use:
- Rinse your baby’s hair using some apple cider vinegar. Let it stay in the hair until it dries out naturally.
- When the vinegar becomes dry in the hair of the baby, add coconut oil onto the hair of the baby and ensure you cover all hair.
- Let the coconut oil stay in the hair for as long as possible.
6. Coconut Oil For Teething Pain
The phase the baby goes through during teething can be full of pain which can cause the baby to be irritable and can also interrupt with the regular feeding routine. Coconut oil contains natural anti-inflammatory properties which help soothe inflammation created as part of teething. You can use this along with some healthy teething biscuits for your baby.
How To Use:
- Take some coconut oil on your fingers and dab on the gums of the baby.
- Apply a little bit of coconut oil to the soothers of your baby to give him a relief in teething pain.
- Make sure to use pure coconut oil without any kind of added chemicals
Applying coconut oil will make sure that the baby gets some natural relief from pain. Since it contains anti-bacterial properties, using coconut oil for your baby will also ensure that the baby isn’t at risk of catching any infection.
Emily Pham is a blogger with many years of experience in natural home remedies for beauty and health issues. All content provided is for informational and educational purposes. We recommend you consult a healthcare professional to determine which method is appropriate for you.