Many new mothers dread teething. They’ve heard so much about teething woes – tender swollen gums, lots of drool – that can change the happiest kid on the planet into a cranky, irritable and grumpy little monster! The discomfort is because of baby teeth cutting the gums as they erupt. Parenting has its unpleasant parts, and teething probably tops the list! The child may refuse to feed, cries and stays irritable. Or she may keep asking for more feeds, in an effort to find some comfort.
Is there a way out of this? Of course there is! And not just one, here are 10 home remedies for teething blues, that are completely natural and guaranteed to soothe your little one and relax you as well!
10 Home Remedies for Teething Babies
1. HOMEOPATHY: This alternative science has one of the bet medicines for teething in general and for complaints associated with teething. The general remedies for teething are CalcPhos 6x and Five Phos 6x. 2 pellets thrice a day from both. There are a few master remedies for cold,cough, diarrhea, crankiness etc associated with teething. For this you need to consult a qualified homeopath as each child may need a different medicine and the same remedy is not suitable for all. Homeopathic Echinacea tincture helps. It numbs the area and provides relief.
2. TEETHERS: I generally prefer our traditional silver teethers to the plastic ones. Silver teethers can also be sterilized and are more hygienic than the plastic ones. There are several other varieties available, like silicone teethers, wooden teethers a well as ones filled with liquid or gel. Freezing the teether increases its effectiveness.
3. MASSAGE: Gently massage the child’s gums with your fingers. This provides relief to the sore gums and all you need is a clean finger.
4. COLD FOODS: Cold foods like a cold carrot, cucumber or plum can offer relief, but ensure that the child is supervised at all times so that the child does not choke on a piece of food. A cold cloth also helps.
5. HONEY: Honey is a grandmother’s remedy that many people swear! I haven’t tried it personally, but you can try applying a little honey to soothe the soreness. Please remember that honey is a big No-No for babies under 1 year of age.
6. CLOVE OIL: Clove oil also has numbing effect which helps to dull the pain.
7. VANILLA EXTRACT: Vanilla isn’t just yummy, it also has a calming and soothing effect on pain.
8. GINGER: A small piece of ginger works as an anti-inflammatory when rubbed on the gums.
9. COOL SPOON: This is a tip from the American Dental Association – a clean steel spoon can be chilled and given to the baby.
10. ALMOND EXTRACT: Mix a little almond extract with water and rub on the gums for pain relief.
In addition to these, you can try out some teething biscuits for your baby to munch on. Here are some recipes that don’t use refined flour or baking powder, making them absolutely safe for your little one.
- Homemade Teething Biscuits from Boys Ahoy
- Healthy Homemade Teething Biscuits from Super Healthy Kids
- Homemade Sweet Potato Teething Biscuits from Priceless Product Reviews
- Homemade Teething Biscuits from Living On Grace
Teething is a common problem that every child has to undergo to get a healthy set of teeth. Unfortunately the saying ‘No gain without pain’ applies to babies as well! Teething doesn’t last forever and will stop as soon as the teeth have finished erupting. In the meanwhile, just follow our tips to keep both baby and Mommy smiling! Happy Teething!
Share this Image On Your Site
Dr Bhavi Mody is a postgraduate in Homeopathy with over 20 years of clinical experience. She specializes in providing not just Homeopathy to her clients but has evolved a structured program for providing a light and sweet solution to a heavy problem -obesity. Her core USP is Women and Child care with homeopathy and nutritional support.