There are mixed opinions on whether tomatoes can be given to babies. Now AAP has recently published that early (after 6 months) introduction of a variety of foods can actually minimize the risk of future allergies in children. (Reference quoted below)
Consult your pediatrician before offering tomato to your baby.
Please follow the 3 Day Rule for introducing the tomato juice.
Sterilize all the vessels used for making baby food.
1. A medium sized tomato yield about 2 tablespoons of juice.
2. Wash and chop the tomatoes into medium sized pieces.
3. In a bowl, take a half cup of water and allow it to boil.
4. When the water starts boiling switch off the gas and adds the chopped tomatoes to it.
5. Leave it aside for 15 minutes.
6. The skin would have peeled after soaking in hot water, gently peel the skin of all the pieces.
7. Mash the contents with a masher or a thick spoon.
8. Sieve the contents.
9. Tomato juice is ready !!!
Please note – Tomato is acidic, so there is a chance of diaper rashes after feeding tomatoes to your little one if it is so, quit tomatoes and do not reintroduce till the baby completes 1 year. Also, don’t offer more than 2 tablespoons of tomato juice to the baby.
Each 100gm of tomato yields about 18 calories.
They contain a carotene called Lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant.
They are a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
The information presented here is meant as a guide and does not replace professional medical advice. You should always discuss your baby’s dietary requirements with your doctor.
- 1 medium Tomato
- Wash and chop the tomatoes into medium sized pieces.
- In a bowl, take a half cup of water and allow it to boil.
- When the water starts boiling switch off the gas and adds the chopped tomatoes to it.
- Leave it aside for 15 minutes.
- The skin would have peeled after soaking in hot water, gently peel the skin of all the pieces.
- Mash the contents with a masher or a thick spoon.
- Sieve the contents.
- Tomato juice is ready !!!
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers