Are you running out of curry recipe ideas? No worries, here is a simple and yummy recipe, Mango Dal Curry for Babies. Mangoes are good to be introduced after 6 months completion. These sweet-smelling fruits are low in calories but extremely high in nutrients. Mangoes are high in anti-oxidants and best to improve immunity in kids. They are also good for eye, hair, skin and digestive health. Toordal dal is also highly nutritious and good for the overall development of babies. Dal is filled with nutrients and it is a rich source of iron, protein, calcium, carbohydrates and fiber. This curry recipe is tangy and creamy, makes the best treat by taste and nutritional level as well.
Mango Dal Curry for Babies
- Raw mango – 1
- Toordal -1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli – 1
- Curry leaves – a few
1. Wash and soak toordal. keep it aside.
2. Wash, peel and grate the mango.
3. In a cooker, add grated mangoes, toordal, turmeric and salt.
4. Add water.
5. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
6. Mash well.
1. Heat ghee in a small pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
3. Add red chilli, and curry leaves.
4. Pour the tempering in cooked mango dal.
While selecting mango for the recipe, opt for the one which is organic and with no chemicals in it. Alphonsa mangoes are the best variety to be introduced for babies. Few babies who are allergic to cashews and pistachios has high probability of getting allergic reactions to mangoes. Even though the 3 days rule is obsolete, it’s better to be followed if you are concerned of allergies. It is believed that excessive intake of mangoes can increase the body heat, hence moderation is the key. If making for babies below 1 year, please avoid salt and red chillies, also introduce dal and mango separately before trying this recipe.
- Raw mango - 1
- Toordal -1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- For Tempering
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Red chilli - 1
- Curry leaves - a few
- Wash and soak toordal. keep it aside.
- Wash, peel and grate the mango.
- In a cooker, add grated mangoes, toordal and salt.
- Add water.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- Mash well.
- For tempering:
- Heat ghee in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add red chilli, and curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering in cooked mango dal.
- Serve Mango Dal Curry with rice or chappathis.