There are several reasons Moms start weaning their babies with cereal, such as having a bland taste or having fewer chances to cause allergies. But most of us stick to rice and wheat, forgetting about the various other grains that are just as (or may be even more) nutritious! One such grain is barley, also known as Jau in Hindi.
Nutritional Benefits of Barley for Babies
- Good source of fiber that ensures smooth bowel movements
- The fiber in barley encourages the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine
- Rich in trace minerals like selenium, molybdenum, manganese, copper, chromium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Reduces production of bile acids, improving liver health
Can I give my baby barley?
Yes, you most certainly can but only after your baby has completed six months of age. Also, it is recommended to see if your child can tolerate wheat cereal first, and if she can, you can go ahead and introduce barley in her diet. As with any new food, be sure to follow the 3-day rule. The great thing about barley is that you can cook it really smooth or make it chunkier, so adjust it according to your baby’s age and comfort. For starters, we’d recommend a smooth barley cereal.
How to Make Barley Cereal for Babies
- Organic Barley Cereal – 2 tablespoons
- Water – required amount
1. Mix the barley cereal in water without lumps
2. Cook on a low flame for 10-20 minutes or in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
3. You can also add some breast milk or formula to thin out the porridge.
Barley is not suitable for consumption in it’s whole form and needs to be hulled. When buying barley for your baby, ensure that you buy an organic variety that is specifically made for babies. As your baby gets used to the taste of barley, you can add vegetable purees to make it a complete meal.
- Organic Barley Cereal - 2 tablespoons
- Water - required amount
- Mix the barley cereal in water without lumps
- Cook on a low flame for 10-20 minutes or in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- You can also add some breast milk or formula to thin out the porridge.
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers