Weaning or complementary feeding, as this is the term used nowadays, means the gradual introduction of solid foods for the infant while continuing breastfeeding. The most common query is
When to start weaning
Most of the mothers are confused as for when to start solids for their little one. They are prejudiced by family, friends and doctors suggestions and end up introducing solids very early.
I have done an extensive research on this issue, and these are the recommendations
By the guidelines of Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) it is 6 months.
By American Academy of pediatrics (AAP) it is around 6 months.
Recent studies have shown that by introducing all the food varieties between 17 th and 27th week of life reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as allergic ones and coeliac disease.
Your pediatrician might differ from the above-said guidelines, the choice is entirely yours.
A study by the AAP has found that introduction of solid foods before 4 months has a higher risk of obesity.
So it is a strict “No” before 4 months, starting between 5 and 6 months is your or your paediatrician’s choice.
Now then you might be wondering
How to know my baby is ready for solids
- Baby can hold her head. Head control milestone is achieved by the end of 3 months.
- The baby is able to sit upright with or without support.
- The baby can move the tongue in and out but does not push the food out.
- Makes chewing motions.
- When you are eating, she puts out her tongue and watches closely your hand and mouth.
Precautions to be taken while feeding solids
- Always feed the baby sitting upright, never feed with baby lying flat on its back.
- Use soft-tipped spoon so that it does not injure the tender gums of the baby.
- Before making the baby food, take caution to sterilize all the equipment and utensils. Nowadays commercial
- Baby Food Maker are available in the market which is easy to clean and sterilize.
- To provide more calories, the food should be thick in consistency, so that it stays in the spoon without running off.
- Consume the food within 2 hours of preparation, any left over should be discarded, and fresh food should be prepared for the baby’s next meal.
You can check out the Monthwise Diet chart for each month.
Check out our complete Guide on Starting Solids for your baby
You might also be interested in our detailed guide on High Chair vs Booster Seat.
If you like this article, Subscribe to our Newsletter Here for free to receive regular updates. We Promise not to spam your inbox!!
The article is based on the views of the author and it is the sole discretion of the reader to implement it, the author does not take responsibility for it.
# – 2013 Sep-Oct;41(5):337-45. doi: 10.1016/j.aller.2012.08.012. Epub 2012 Dec 31.The timing of introduction of solid food and risk of allergic disease development: understanding the evidence.
Sansotta N1, Piacentini GL, Mazzei F, Minniti F, Boner AL, Peroni DG.
photo credit: jeff.snodgrass via photopin cc photo credit: Turkinator via photopin cc
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers