Halwa!!! Just the mention of this sweetmeat brings back memories of the tasty Tirunelveli Halwa that my Dad used to bring home from our local sweet shop during my school days. There was this particular shop in Madurai where they prepare fresh, hot halwa in the evenings. The sight of the halwa was enough to tickle our taste buds with the ghee oozing from it, accompanied by a heavenly aroma – yummm!
I have tried making it at home a couple of times but it didn’t turn out well – it was either very sticky like bubblegum or as hard as a rock!!!
Anyway, coming to today’s post, one of my readers had requested for a Wheat Halwa recipe a while back, which led to me scouring my old cookbooks, from where this recipe turned up. If you ask me, this is the perfect wheat halwa recipe – the best you’ll find anywhere! It was so good that after feeding my daughter, I ended up gobbling the whole thing – forgetting about the other people in my home! My husband and son were not too thrilled about not getting to even taste the halwa!
Easy Wheat Halwa Recipe/ Atta Halwa Recipe
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Water – as required
- Ghee – ¼ cup
- Mishri Sugar or Powdered Jaggery for Babies above 1 year (You can use 100% Organic Jaggery) – ½ cup
- Elachi powder – 1 pinch
- Dryfruits powder – 1 tsp
1. In a kadai, heat ghee on a low flame.
2.Add the wheat flour and fry on a medium flame till it gives out a nice, roasted aroma. Be careful to not burn the flour.
3. Add water and continue to stir so that it doesn’t form lumps.
4. Add mishri sugar and stir well.
5. Once the flour is properly cooked and the ghee starts separating from it, add elaichi and dryfruits powders and turn off the gas.
6. A little formula or breast milk can be added to make the halwa runny.
The next time you crave some halwa, you can try this easy wheat halwa recipe! It’s quick and easy enough to be ready in a jiffy!
Is wheat halwa good for health?
Yes, it can be given as a treat. Homemade natural halwa (made with natural jaggery) is the best alternative to sugar loaded, refined flour halwa.
Can we give Atta halwa to 8 month old baby?
Wheat halwa with no jaggery can be introduced after 8 months.
Is jaggery good for babies?
Jaggery is good to boost immunity of kids and it can be introduced after 1 year.
What sweetener is safe for babies while making halwa?
Jaggery (authentic) is the best natural sweetener to be added in desserts for babies above 1 year.
When can I introduce ghee to baby?
Ghee can be introduced to babies after 6 months itself. It’s energy rich and good for healthy weight gain in babies.
Easy Wheat Halwa Recipe
- ½ cup Wheat flour
- ¼ cup Ghee
- ½ cup Mishri Sugar or Powdered Jaggery for Babies above 1 year (You can use 100% Organic Jaggery)
- 1 pinch Elachi powder
- 1 tsp Dry fruit powder
- In a kadai, heat ghee on a low flame.
- Add the wheat flour and fry on a medium flame till it gives out a nice, roasted aroma. Be careful to not burn the flour.
- Add water and continue to stir so that it doesn’t form lumps.
- Add mishri sugar and stir well.
- Once the flour is properly cooked and the ghee starts separating from it, add elaichi and dryfruit powders and turn off the gas.