Today, we have a Puffed Rice Balls recipe, an easy sweet recipe made with puffed rice and jaggery syrup. These puffed rice balls are a good snack for kids to munch on in between meals as it provides instant energy for active kids. It tastes delicious and very simple to make if you get the correct jaggery consistency . This recipe is ideal for kids from one year. So what are you waiting for, try it for yourself and the little ones at home!
Puffed Rice Balls Recipe for Toddlers and Kids
- Puffed Rice – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/8 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder- 1/8 tsp
1. Place jaggery in a pan with water till it is immersed. Heat the jaggery and turn off the flame once the jaggery melts completely.
2. Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove impurities. Then start heating the strained jaggery water on a low flame.
3. In the mean time, take a bowl with water and keep it ready. When the jaggery water becomes thick, take a little bit of syrup in a spoon and add it to the bowl of water. Gather the syrup to make a firm ball with your fingers. If you are able to form a nice ball, that is the correct stage. Switch off the flame and remove the jaggery syrup from heat. Please remember that the consistency of jaggery is very important for making perfect puffed rice balls.
4. Immediately add the jaggery syrup to the puffed rice. Add cardamom and dry ginger powder at this stage. Mix everything together with a spoon. Word of caution here, Jaggery syrup will be hot it may burn the skin if touched directly.
5. Make balls with the remaining mix and store the puffed rice balls in an airtight container.
Your tasty puffed rice balls are ready! If you find that you can’t make balls and the mixture is too thick, loosen it up by heating the mixture for two to three minutes before proceeding further. The puffed rice balls stay well for a week if stored in an airtight container. Be sure that your little one has eaten puffed rice before trying this recipe.
Kalyani is a former software engineer who quit her job after her little one arrived. That was when she discovered her true passion – cooking and clicking! You can find her yummy recipes and more at her blog http://gkfooddiary.com/.
- Puffed Rice balls - easy and tasty balls with puffed rice and Jaggery
- Puffed Rice - 2 cups
- Jaggery - ½ cup
- Water - ⅛ cup
- Cardamom powder - ⅛ tsp
- Dry Ginger Powder- ⅛ tsp
- Measure and keep all ingredients ready. Wash and soak poha in water until its soft enough to mash. Squeeze the water completely from poha once it's soft.
- Heat jaggery in a pan with water till it immersing level.Switch off the flame once slight honey like consistency is reached. Strain the jaggery water using a strainer to remove impurities.
- In a tsp of ghee, fry the cashews until golden brown. Now in a bowl, add soaked poha, melted jaggery syrup, ghee fried cashews, grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Mix everything together and mash it completely with your hands. Grease your hand with ghee and start making balls.
- Make balls with the remaining mix and serve the poha balls.