This Poha Vada recipe is the perfect crunchy snack for kids to enjoy this season! Easy to make and great for an instant energy boost for busy bees!
When you think of flattened rice, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? For many of us it’s probably the breakfast dish of Maharashtra, poha. Or it may be aval mix, where the rice is mixed with banana or coconut and eaten as a snack. For many others, flattened rice may remind us of kheer or payasam.
Well whatever it may be, I’m sure many of you didn’t think of poha as vada! Vada is generally made with dals or besan, but poha vada is a great competitor to these in terms of crunchiness and taste. What’s more, in today’s recipe, we’ve added some veggies to increase the nutrient content.
This poha vada recipe is a great energy rich recipe that helps active toddlers refuel when they get tired. Poha or flattened rice is a low calorie filling food which is easily digestible and loaded with carbohydrates, iron, fibre, antioxidants and essential vitamins.
Poha Vada for Kids [ Aval vadai | Instant Flattened rice vada | Crispy poha vada]
- Potato – 2
- Poha (Flattened Rice) – 1.5 cups
- Chopped Onion – 1
- Green Peas – 2 tbsp
- Grated Carrot – 1
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
1. Soak poha in water for 3 minutes.
2. Rinse and drain poha.
3. Boil the potato for 2-3 whistles.
4. Peel and mash the potatoes without lumps.
5. Add soaked poha.
6. Add onion, peas, carrot, jeera powder and coriander powder.
7. Add ginger garlic paste.
8. Add salt as required.
9. Mix well to form a dough.
10. Pinch a small portion of dough to make vadas.
11. Heat oil in a pan.
12. Shallow fry and flip occasionally until golden brown.
13. Serve hot.
Poha is a least processed and a very light food. It doesn’t trigger an allergic reaction and is well tolerated by most babies, making it a great pick for kids prone to food sensitivities. This recipe is suitable for children above 1 year.
- Potato - 2
- Poha (Flattened Rice) - 1.5 cups
- Chopped Onion - 1
- Green Peas - 2 tbsp
- Grated Carrot - 1
- Cumin Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Soak poha in water for 3 minutes.
- Rinse and drain poha.
- Boil the potato for 2-3 whistles.
- Peel and mash the potatoes without lumps.
- Add soaked poha.
- Add onion, peas, carrot, jeera powder and coriander powder.
- Add ginger garlic paste.
- Add salt as required.
- Mix well to form a dough.
- Pinch a small portion of dough to make vadas.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Shallow fry and flip occasionally until golden brown.