Bajra or Pearl Millet is a grain that is common in several parts of India, particularly the west. However, today, it is quite the forgotten grain as people consume mostly rice and wheat, even if they opt for unprocessed versions. The fact is that it is extremely healthy, even for babies! It’s a good source of fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Other Names for Pearl Millet
1. Kambu in Tamil
2. Sajje/kambu in Kannada.
3. Sajjalu in Telugu.
4. Kambam in Malayalam
Today, we have the recipe for a Bajra/Kambu Powder Mix for babies. It can be given after 8 months and is the perfect travel food.
Bajra/Kambu Powder Mix for Babies
- Bajra/Pearl Millet – 6 tbsps.
- Moong dal – 2 tbsps.
- Til/Sesame seeds (optional) – 1 tbsp.
1. Clean the millet.
2. Roast the millet, moong dal and til seeds separately.
3. Once cool, grind each ingredient separately. Sieve them well. Finally, mix all the powders together.
4. Store the powder mix in a clean, dry airtight container.
To make the cereal for your baby, add 2 tablespoons of the mix in a bowl and add piping hot water. Stir well without lumps and serve.
You can also buy our Instant Bajra Moongdal Powder from here.
Nutritional value per 100 grams :
Protein 12 .53 g.
Iron 5 .71 mg.
Carotene 82 μg.
Do check it out for more articles and tips for traveling with kids, instant recipes for babies and toddlers, Home made travel food ideas, Tips to entertain toddlers while traveling, Kids travel accessories, Kids travel checklist, Road trip with kids and much more.
- Bajra/ jowar - 6 tbsps.
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp.
- Til/Sesame seeds 1 tbsp. (optional)
- Clean and de-husk the bajra.
- Roast the bajra, moong dal and til seeds separately.
- Once cool, grind each ingredient separately. Sieve them well. Finally, mix all the powders together.
- Store the bajra powder mix in a clean, dry and airtight container.
- To make the bajra cereal for your baby, put 2 tablespoons of the powder mix in a bowl and add piping hot water. Stir well without lumps and serve.