Bajra or Pearl Millet is a grain that is common in several parts of India, particularly the west. However, today, it is quite the forgotten grain as people consume mostly rice and wheat, even if they opt for unprocessed versions. The fact is that it is extremely healthy, even for babies! It’s a good source of fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Other Names for Pearl Millet
1. Kambu in Tamil
2. Sajje/kambu in Kannada.
3. Sajjalu in Telugu.
4. Kambam in Malayalam
Today, we have the recipe for a Bajra/Kambu Powder Mix for babies. It can be given after 8 months and is the perfect travel food.
Bajra/Kambu Powder Mix for Babies
- 50 g Bajra/Pearl Millet
- 20 g Moong dal
- 10 g Til/Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Clean and de-husk the millets.
2. Roast the millet, moong dal and til seeds separately.
3. Once cool, grind each ingredient separately. Finally, mix all the powders together.
4. Store the powder mix in a clean, dry and airtight container.
To make the cereal for your baby, put a tablespoon of the powder mix in a bowl and add hot water. Stir well and serve.
You can also buy our Instant Bajra Moongdal Powder from here.
Nutritional value per 100 grams :
Protein 12 .53 g.
Iron 5 .71 mg.
Carotene 82 μg.
This post is part of our Travel Series. Do check it out for more articles and tips for traveling with kids, instant recipes for babies and toddlers, Home made travel food ideas, Tips to entertain toddlers while traveling, kid-friendly travel destinations, Kids travel accessories, Kids travel checklist, Road trip with kids and much more.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox
- Bajra 50 g.
- Moong dal 20 g.
- Til/Sesame seeds 10 g. (optional)
- Clean and de-husk the bajra.
- Roast the bajra, moong dal and til seeds separately.
- Once cool, grind each ingredient separately. Finally, mix all the powders together.
- Store the bajra powder mix in a clean, dry and airtight container.
- To make the bajra cereal for your baby, put a tablespoon of the powder mix in a bowl and add hot water. Stir well and serve.
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers