Khichdi is something that has managed to persist in many Indian homes, inspite the advent of packaged and processed food. After all, there’s something incredibly comforting about a warm, mushy, lightly flavored dish that reminds you of your Mom! Here are some more benefits of Khichdi:
1. Khichdi is a complete meal in itself, with carbs from rice and protein from pulses. Add some grated veggies to make it balanced.
2. Khichdi uses white rice, making it easy on the digestive system. This is the reason khichdi is so popular when you have a tummy problem and with babies with developing digestive systems.
3. Khichdi is a great pick for people with various dietary restrictions like gluten intolerance.
4. Khichdi is light and easy on the stomach, avoiding the discomfort that comes with a heavy, greasy meal.
But as with all such things, Khichdi is also subject to the malaise of boredom, especially when it comes to our little munchkins who demand variety every day. So if your baby is tired of the same old khichdi flavors, try out this fruity take on the traditional classic – Apple Khichdi!
Apple Khichdi Recipe for Babies
- Rice – 100gms
- Moong dal – 30 gms
- Apple – 1
- Cinnamon – 1/4 teaspoon
1. Make the Apple puree.
2. Soak rice and dal together for 15 mins.
3. Rinse, add 250 ml of water and cook the rice and dal in a pressure cooker till well done.
4. After it cools, mix the apple puree and cinnamon powder into the cooked rice-dal mix. Stir well and serve.
Most babies love some sweetness in their food, and you can indulge them without having to resort to unhealthy foods. So try this out for your baby and watch as it becomes his new favorite dish!
- Rice - 100gm
- Moong dal - 30gm
- Apple - 1
- Cinnamon powder - ¼ spoon
- Chop the apple into small pieces
- In a katori, steam them in a pressure cooker for 10 min.
- After they cool, blend them into puree
- Soak Rice and moong dal for 15 minutes.
- Cook Rice and moong dal together in a cooker allowing 3 whistles
- After the rice is cookes, coola nd add the apple puree to it