Pregnant women are advised to include jackfruit in their diet for a number of health benefits. Those benefits include promoting a healthy weight gain in pregnant women, regulating blood sugar levels, and providing essential nutrients such as potassium, fiber, magnesium, and vitamin C. In this blog post, we’ll be discussing the 10 things you need to know about eating jackfruit during pregnancy. You’re sure to learn everything you need to know about eating Jackfruit during pregnancy!
1. Eating jackfruit during pregnancy can be a great way to improve blood sugar control and reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia. It contains fiber, protein, flavonoids and lots of other nutrients that is good to support blood sugar control. Jackfruit is with medium glycemic index. Protein and fiber, takes longer time for the body to digest and influence the blood sugar control resulting in regulating blood sugar and blood pressure. Eating too many pieces of jackfruit can result in fluctuating a woman’s sugar levels, so it’s better to be avoided by pregnant diabetic women or can consume in limited quantities after having a word with the gynecologist. Pregnant ladies with no diabetics can definitely enjoy this yummy fruit in moderation.
2. During pregnancy, the immunity gets lowered. It’s important to boost the immunity with immunity boosting foods. The well-known anti-inflammatory vitamin A increases the cell development and increases immunity. Vitamin C makes collagen which is helpful for reducing body inflammation and vitamin C also helps the body to absorb iron. Antioxidants are crucial for the body to neutralize or destroy the free radicals which are the reason for several diseases. . Jackfruit contains vitamins A, C and antioxidants, which are important for maintaining a healthy immune system by fighting against the infections.
3. Eating jackfruit during pregnancy is a great way to get essential nutrients and vitamins, and it’s also a good way to lose weight. Jackfruit is low in calories and cholesterol, making it a healthy choice for people trying to lose weight.
4. Eating jackfruit during pregnancy is a great way to get the benefits of this fruit while pregnant, especially during the 3rd trimester. It has several health benefits which are necessary for the pregnant ladies. Some of the health benefits are, treats fatigue, aids gut health, strengthens the immunity, helps in the development of fetal organs etc. Eating jackfruit during pregnancy can help to relieve nausea or vomiting during early pregnancy.
5. Eating jackfruit in the initial months of pregnancy is safe, but it might cause excessive gas in few ladies who has digestive/intestinal issues. This is because of the carminative oil which is present in jackfruits. So if there is acidity or digestive issues, it’s better to avoid jackfruit. Ladies with latex allergy/ birch pollen allergy should avoid eating jack fruit. Women who are taking medication for the risk of bleeding should also avoid jackfruit.
6. To avoid discomfort or digestive issues, it’s important to eat fully ripen fruits. If taking raw fruit, it has to be cooked well. Garlic, hing and jeera can be added in jackfruit curries for easy digestion. Make sure to wash the jackfruit thoroughly before eating, this can help to prevent the spread of food borne pathogens.
7. Eating jackfruit in large quantities during pregnancy is considerably dangerous. It can increase blood pressure, nausea, dizziness, stomach upset, abdominal pain, chances of miscarriage (for women with underlying health conditions) or preterm labor.
8. Jackfruit helps in overall growth and development of babies when eaten in right quantity. Jackfruit provides calcium, vitamins A, B6 & C, zinc, potassium, fiber, folate, iron etc. They are loaded with the essential nutrients which helps in the development of various organs of the growing fetus.
9. Ladies being anemic is a common issue during pregnancy. Jack fruit has edible seeds which can be cooked and consumed. These seeds are iron rich and can help to treat anemia.
10. Jackfruit seeds are also loaded with vitamin C, fiber, protein and potassium. It’s energy boosting for the pregnant ladies who feel tired. Not just that, it’s good for bone, skin and hair health. These nutritious seeds are immunity boosting as well. However excessive intake of jackfruit seeds can cause digestive issues like excess gas, stomach ache and diarrhea. Prior to including jackfruit and jackfruit seeds in diet, it’s better to have a word with your gynecologist/ dietician and clear all your doubts.
If you’re pregnant and looking for a healthy fruit to eat, jackfruit is definitely a great option! Not only is jackfruit a nutritional powerhouse, but it is also a safe food to eat during pregnancy. As we always say, moderation is the key!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of eating jackfruit during pregnancy?
Jackfruit helps in overall growth and development of babies when eaten in right quantity. Jackfruit provides calcium, vitamins A, B6 & C, zinc, potassium, fiber, folate, iron etc. They are loaded with the essential nutrients which helps in the development of various organs of the growing fetus.
Is jackfruit safe to eat during pregnancy?
Yes, jackfruit is safe and highly beneficial for pregnant ladies only if taken in moderation.
Is jackfruit good for pregnant woman?
Yes, jackfruit has several health benefits which are necessary for the pregnant ladies. Some of the health benefits are, treats fatigue, aids gut health, strengthens the immunity, helps in the development of fetal organs etc.
Does jackfruit cause miscarriage?
No, it will not cause miscarriage if taken in moderation. Pregnant women should not eat too much of jackfruits.
Is it good to eat jackfruit seeds during pregnancy?
Jackfruit seeds are loaded with vitamin C, fiber, protein and potassium. It’s energy boosting, good for bone, skin and hair health. These nutritious seeds are immunity boosting as well. However excessive intake of jackfruit seeds can cause digestive issues like excess gas, stomach ache and diarrhea and hence it has to be eaten in moderate.