Are you looking for a nutritious and hearty recipe for babies? Look no further than our Savory Ragi Kanji Recipe for Babies. It’s perfect for a cold winter day. Plus, it’s packed with nutrients that they need!
Ragi/nachni/finger millet is a nutrient-rich grain that is perfect for babies. It’s high in fiber, minerals, and vitamins, making it a great choice for babies’ diets. In this savory ragi kanji recipe for babies, we’ve included some delicious spices to give the porridge a flavor that will please even the pickiest child. If you’re looking for a nutritious and tasty way to give your baby the perfect start, be sure to check out our recipe, Savory Ragi Kanji Recipe for Babies!
Savory Ragi Kanji Recipe for Babies
- Ragi – ¼ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Cumin powder – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Onion – ½ chopped (Optional)
- Salt – as needed
1. In a pan, add ragi flour and water, mix without lumps. Cook Ragi in water for 5-10 minutes and mix well.
Allow the ragi mixture to cool down.
2. Once cooled, start adding a pinch of cumin powder, hing, chopped onion and finally Salt as needed.
Note – If you are not comfortable with feeding raw onion, then you can skip the step or you can fry the onions in oil till it’s transparent and can add it.
3. Mix them well and serve it warm/chill.
For adults you can add buttermilk to the porridge, mix it thoroughly and serve chill or in room temperature.
You can of course add some sautéed vegetables and favorite spices to this recipe. Add in the right spices and a dash of ghee for an extra-special dish that your baby will love. Play around with ingredients until you find something your little one loves!
And don’t worry if your baby doesn’t like the porridge at first since it takes some time for babies to get used to new flavors. Leave it on their bowl and come back after 15 minutes so they can try again!
With just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to create this savory porridge in no time! Worth a try?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we give ragi daily to baby?
Yes, ragi is highly nutritious and can be given daily to babies.
How do I introduce ragi to my 6 month old baby?
Ragi can be introduced after 6 months completion. Initially ragi milk porridge can be given and then porridge made of powdered ragi can be given. For babies above 1 year different recipes can be made with ragi. While introducing ragi, please give little and then gradually increase the quantity.
Can ragi help in weight gain for babies?
Yes, ragi is nutrient rich and can help in healthy weight gain of babies.
Will ragi cause constipation in babies?
Very few babies might get constipated, as it needs more water to get digested. But feeding sips of water while feeding ragi can help to loosen stool. But yes, it may constipate some babies. Reason is very simple, fiber foods need more water to get digested well.
Can I feed ragi to my baby during winter?
Ragi is commonly known as nachni, the ultimate winter food. Ragi or nachni has the ability to keep your system warm and thus are best for winters.
Can I give ragi porridge at night for babies?
While introducing ragi, it has to be done only in the first half of the day. When baby becomes comfortable with the new food, it can be given in any convenient timing.
Savory Ragi Kanji Recipe for Babies
- ¼ cup Ragi
- 2 cups Water
- 1 pinch Cumin powder
- 1 pinch Hing
- ½ cup Onion chopped (Optional)
- Salt as needed
- In a pan, add ragi flour and water, mix without lumps. Cook Ragi in water for 5-10 minutes and mix well.Allow the ragi mixture to cool down.
- Once cooled, start adding a pinch of cumin powder, hing, chopped onion and finallySalt as needed.
- Note – If you are not comfortable with feeding raw onion,then you can skip the step or you can fry the onions in oil till it’stransparent and can add it.
- Mix them well and serve it warm/chill.
- For adults you can add buttermilk to the porridge, mix it thoroughly and serve chill or in room temperature.