One of the memories I have of my grandmother is of her scrubbing me with her special, homemade bath powder. It had a scrubby effect, and I remember feeling so content and sleepy after my bath! Then I grew up, moved to the city and to branded soaps, advertised by popular actresses on TV. But nothing could compare to my Grandma’s Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder, handmade with love and care!
What is Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder?
Nalangu Maavu is an herbal body wash or face wash popular in South India. It is an Ayurvedic formulation, made with natural ingredients like Indian sarsaparilla, White turmeric, Champak, Flagroot, and others. This bath powder is also used in Ayurveda as medicine, to treat skin conditions like eczema. The benefits it offers are immense, and it was everyone’s choice of a good cleanser before chemical soaps and gels came into the picture.
Benefits of using Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder:
- Nalangu Maavu absorbs excess oil from the skin without drying it
- It helps to restore the natural pH balance of skin
- Turmeric in the bath powder works wonders for inflammation
- Turmeric also promotes the body’s synthesis of antioxidants and slows down visible signs of aging
- Regular usage of herbal bath powder can help people with acne or pimples, by reducing oil secretion
- Using Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder on a daily basis can help reduce body odor and excessive sweating
- It acts like a toner, minimizing pores on the skin
- Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder is antifungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial
How to make Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder?
You can find all the ingredients mentioned below in any Ayurvedic herb shop or Naatu Marundhu Kadai.
- White turmeric
- Rose Petals
- Muthakach khus
- Indian sarsaparilla
- Flagroot/sweet cane
- Black stone flower
- Chinnoti Red Bay Leaf
1. Sun-dry all the ingredients well for 2 or 3 hours till they became completely dry and crisp.
2. Grind the ingredients to a powder. You can use your home grinder or take it to a grinding mill. In any case, it is important to ensure that the grinder is not used to grind spices since even the slightest tinge of spice can cause irritation.
3. Store the Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
If it’s difficult for you to get the right ingredients or if don’t have time to make this herbal powder mix, don’t worry! We have 100% homemade Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder ready for your use. Just order it online by clicking here: Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder
Who can use Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder?
Everyone! Except for children under three years, everyone in the family irrespective of gender can use Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder. When preparing Nalangu Maavu for boys, skip the turmeric as it helps shed the body hair. Instead, replace the turmeric in the ingredients list with green gram dhal. For girls, you can use the ingredient list as it is.
How to use Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder?
Before using this powder please do a Patch Test to make sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. Allergies to Nalangu Maavu are rare, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. You can use the Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder for your body as well as your face.
To use as a daily bath powder:
- Take the required amount of Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder and mix some water in it to make a paste.
- Apply all over the body and leave for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with water.
- You can also use it as a dry scrub by scrubbing it on dry skin and then washing it off with water.
To use it as a face wash:
- Make a paste of Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder with water.
- People with dry skin can use curd or milk fat instead of water for better results.
- For normal skin water or curd or honey can be added.
- Apply all over the face and leave for five minutes. Rinse off with water.
Nalangu Maavu takes nearly 15 minutes to dry completely. I’d suggest scrubbing it gently with a little water to exfoliate the skin and then rinsing it off with adequate water.
Things to remember while making Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients you can skip it
- Try to make it during summer, as it will ensure thorough drying of the ingredients.
- If you powder it using a mixer at home make sure the jar is washed well and dried completely as it shouldn’t have even a tinge of spiciness and moisture. Spiciness can irritate the skin and moisture can spoil the powder.
- You can make a huge batch of this herbal powder and store it for up to a year. You can transfer a small quantity of it to a container/bottle for daily use and keep the rest airtight in another container.
Nalangu Maavu Herbal Bath Powder is a 100% natural product, which is why it needs to be used regularly for a while for visible results to show. If you are switching over from a chemical-laden body wash or soap, you might feel like the bath powder isn’t doing anything for you. But make it a part of your daily bathing ritual – not just to stay clean, but for healthy skin and a lovely cooling sensation as well. Be patient and keep at it – you’ll definitely see the difference!
Do you use a traditional herbal mix recipe for skin care? If yes, do share with us the recipe and benefits in the comment section below.