We’ve often heard of the saying ‘old is gold’, and one instance where I truly agree with this is when it comes to liquid gold – a herbal oil called ‘Velichenna’. This is a traditional homemade oil from Kerala and is used to get help babies and toddlers with cold and cough. As you can imagine, ever since winter arrived, I’ve been busy making this homemade liquid gold for my baby!
This oil contains many herbs, each of which has its own medicinal properties. Here is a look at the benefits of each ingredient of velichenna.
Panikoorka (Indian Borage)
Panikoorka is an ayurvedic herb and the leaves are used for treating common cold, cough and fever. It is a natural anti pyretic and is very effective for babies and toddlers.
Tulsi (Holy Basil)
Tulsi is a popular herb known to encourage lustrous, shiny and healthy hair.
Camphor gives the oil a pleasant smell and keeps the scalp healthy. It also helps to absorb excess moisture in head and is useful for treating dandruff and an itchy scalp.
Peppercorns help clear the mucus from a congested nose and provides relief during a cold.
This is base for this herbal oil. It is natural hair conditioner. Use only virgin coconut oil as you are using it for babies and toddlers.
Rice grains are an important component of this oil, as the properties of starch are useful in the treatment of cold sores.
How to make DIY Ayurvedic Oil (Velichenna)
- Panikoorka / karporavalli – 4 to 5 leaves.
- Tulsi / holy basil – 10 to 15 leaves.
- Peppercorns / black pepper – 3 to 4
- Camphor / pachakarpooram – 1 teaspoon
- Rice grains – 1 teaspoon.
- Virgin coconut oil – 500 ml
1. Heat coconut oil in a heavy bottomed kadhai or pan on a low flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. While the oil is heating, crush the panikoorka and tulsi leaves with a mortar and pestle.
3. Add the rice grains to the oil and continue to heat for 2 minutes. Add the crushed leaves and heat till they wilt.
4. Turn off the flame and allow the oil to cool. Strain the oil and add camphor and peppercorns before storing it in an air tight container.
- The oil should not smoke under any circumstances.
- This oil should be used only for hair not for massaging in face or body.
- This oil can be used for toddlers and babies above 6 months or even for adults.
- Some people also use de-seeded dried red chillis, cumin seeds and betel stems in this oil.
Sindhu Niha, Home Ayurveda Care