Treat your child’s cough the natural way with these Homemade Cough Drops, made from ginger, lemon, honey and healing spices. Perfect for adults as well!
A cough is one of the most annoying signs of illness, and can completely hamper our daily life. If it’s that bad for adults, just imagine how it must be for little kids!
For parents, it can be quite distressing to watch their kids suffer a stubborn cough, which could be due to any illness. While it’s a good idea to opt for natural remedies for cold and cough, we have one more solution for that irritating cough – homemade cough drops!
You’ll find cough drops at most supermarkets or medical stores, which may be effective but still contain artificial ingredients. If that worries you, making your own cough drops at home is the best solution. Our homemade cough drops are made from naturally healing ingredients like ginger, cardamom, lemon, honey and clove. Here’s a quick look at their benefits:
- Ginger Contains a substance called Gingerol, which has anti-inflammatory benefits which strengthens the immune system.
- Cardamom is antioxidant-rich and filled with anti-inflammatory effects, offering relief from breathing problems like asthma, cold and cough. It also helps in maintaining gut health.
- The oil released from cloves helps fight germs and loosens phlegm effectively.
- Honey is filled with antimicrobial properties and helps treat a sore throat.
- Being a rich source of vitamin C lemon helps in reducing phlegm.
- Jaggery is used as a base to boost immunity as well as to stabilize body temperature
Now that you know all the benefits, it’s time to see how to go about making these homemade cough drops for kids!
Homemade Cough Drops [Ginger Lemon Honey Cough Drops] for Kids
- Dry ginger Powder – 4 tsp
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Lemon – 1 tbsp
- Clove – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Honey – 2 tsp
- Rice flour – as required
Wondering how to get Organic Jaggery Powder? Don’t worry, we’ll deliver it straight to your doorstep.
1. Boil 1/2 cup of water in a pan.
2. Add ginger and cook for few minutes.
3. Add jaggery and stir well.
4. Add lemon juice.
5. Add clove and cardamom.
6. Boil the mixture until it thickens.
7. Turn of the flame and add honey, mix well
8. In a large bowl of water, add a drop of mixture
9. Roll and make small patties
10. Dust with rice flour and place in a plate.
11. Let it dry for 5-6 Hours
12. Sprinkle some rice flour and remove it from plate and store in airtight container
Be sure to complement these cough drops with a diet rich in foods that cure cough and cold. These cough drops can be given to babies above one year, since the two main ingredients – honey and jaggery – cannot be given to babies under one. That’s not all, these are perfectly effective for adults too, so you don’t need to buy anything the next time you have a cough – just make these natural cough drops at home!
- Dry ginger Powder – 4 tsp
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Lemon - 1 tbsp.
- Clove - ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Honey - 2tsp
- Rice flour - as required
- Boil ½ cup of water in a pan.
- Add ginger and cook for few minutes.
- Add jaggery and stir well.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add clove and cardamom.
- Boil the mixture until it thickens.
- Turn of the flame and add honey, mix well
- In a large bowl of water, add a drop of mixture
- Roll and make small patties
- Dust with rice flour and place in a plate.
- Let it dry for 5-6 Hours
- Sprinkle some rice flour and remove it from plate and store in airtight container