My 19-month-old son has developed a strong fascination for Chinese recipes and snacks. He particularly adores the Chinese spring rolls recipe that I prepare for my family. To make it more kid-friendly and gentle on his tummy, I have made some modifications. I have reduced the amount of spices, omitted the use of Ajinomoto, and minimized the quantity of Maida. These adjustments ensure a child-friendly version of the Chinese spring rolls recipe, allowing my son to enjoy this delightful dish without any discomfort.
Chinese Spring Rolls Recipe for Kids
For the dough
- 1/2 cup Maida
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tsp hot oil
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 capsicum sliced
- 1/2 cabbage shredded
- 2-3 baby corn thinly sliced
- 7-8 French beans thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the outer wrap
1. To prepare the outer wrap for the Chinese Spring Rolls, begin by kneading a dough with maida to achieve a texture that is neither too tight nor too soft. Gradually add water while kneading the dough to ensure the right consistency. This step is crucial in creating the perfect outer covering for the Chinese Spring Rolls recipe.
3. After rolling out the dough into a thin sheet, use a knife or pizza cutter to trim the uneven sides of the chapati. This will result in rectangular sheets, which are ideal for making Chinese spring rolls recipe. By cutting the sides, you ensure that the wrappers are of equal size and shape, making the rolling process easier and ensuring consistent results.
5. When rolling out the dough for the spring roll wrappers, aim for a thickness that is very thin. Thin sheets ensure that the spring rolls have a delicate and crispy texture once fried. Take your time while rolling to achieve the desired thinness, as it contributes to the overall quality of the Chinese spring rolls recipe.
6. Once you have rolled out the thin spring roll wrappers, it is important to keep them aside and cover them with a damp cloth or wet napkin. This helps prevent the wrappers from drying out and becoming brittle. By keeping them covered, you ensure that the wrappers remain moist and pliable until you are ready to use them for assembling the Chinese spring rolls.
For the Filling
1. In a wok heat the oil add onions and saute.
2.Add all the veggies and saute till they are slightly cooked but not over cooked, leave them a bit crunchy.
3. Add all the seasonings.
Maida paste needed to seal the roll
In a bowl mix maida and water to make a paste it should be thick and not runny.
Assembling the roll
1. Take a sheet.
2. Put a little filling on one corner of the sheet.
Deep fry this rolls and remove excess oil on kitchen napkin.
Your yummy crispy spring rolls are ready.
Serve with ketchup or green chutney.
Recipe by Kanika Aggarwal Garg
She loves to cook and tries new and yummy recipes to make her fussy toddler to eat.
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂