“Summer means happy times and good sunshine” – Brian Wilson
There’s something inherently cheerful about summer. You can call it the effect of the sun’s rays on our skin or whatever, but you can’t deny it!
Summer’s also a great time for hobbies, including crafts! So we decided to do something simple this summer, that even toddlers can help with. It’s a photo frame craft with a summer theme! You need very basic supplies and can decorate it any way you like, so give the kids free rein!
Summer Themed Photo Frame Craft
- Stiff Cardboard
- Popsicle (ice cream) sticks
- Foam cutouts or other decoration
- Colored Paper
- Glue, Scissors, Tape, Double-sided tape
1. Take some cardboard for the base, the stiffer the better. We used one side of a box from Amazon. Cut out a piece as big as you want your photo frame to be.
2. Stick a piece of colored paper inside the base, which should be as big as the photo you’re going to insert. Then start sticking popsicle sticks, whole ones on the side and then end pieces for the top and bottom, to give a ‘fence-like’ look. At the other end, stick the whole sticks with double sided tape only on the top and bottom edges, leaving a gap for the photo to slide through.
3. Paint the sticks any color you like. We preferred a light color so that it wouldn’t clash with our decoration of the frame. Acrylic colors or even tempera paints work well. When dry, stick ribbon across the top and bottom to hide the uneven edges surrounding the photo.
4. Decorate the frame with any summer-themed decoration. As you can see, we went the obvious way with a sun! You can also make it beach themed, by sticking an umbrella and some sea shells. Finish the frame by sticking more ribbon on the back to be able to hang it.
Now slide in a cute little photo of your little one and you’re done!
There’s very little effort involved in this craft, and is a great project for young kids too. So go ahead and make your own creation!