With summer ahead and kids itching to riot in the parks and pools, most parents are in a dilemma about sunscreen – to use or not to use? And if it’s to be used, which one is the best sunscreen for kids?
Children’s skin is more susceptible to sunburn than adults and using sunscreen is an absolute necessity for them. Here are some tips to choose a sunscreen that will be suitable for your little one.
How to Choose the Best Sunscreen for Kids
Here are some basic guidelines regarding sunscreens:
- It can be used only for babies more than 6 months old. If less than 6 months old, cover the baby fully before going out.
- Choose a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects the skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
- The sun protection factor (SPF) should be at least 15 and can be up to 30, SPF more than 30 does not give any additional protection so it is not worth going for it.
- A sunscreen that contains “Titanium dioxide” or “Zinc Oxide” are very effective and safe for children. They are broad spectrum too, making your little one’s skin much safer.
Basically, there are 2 types of sunscreen available:
- Chemical sunscreen (they enter the skin and not advised for infants)
- Sunblocks – Barrier creams (they form a layer of the skin and block the sun rays)
How to use the sunscreen for kids
- Check the expiry date before buying any cream.
- Before using chemical sunscreen do a patch test on the forearm or the leg, to prevent a reaction to the sunscreen.
- Apply the cream liberally to the body parts, take care to reach the parts which are difficult to apply to back of the ear, nape of the neck, back etc.
- Apply the sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going out.
- Do not combine insect repellent cream with the sunscreen.
- If your kid is under the sun for more than 2 hours reapply again and if he is wet, wipe off dry and reapply the cream.
I hope this article helped to choose an appropriate cream for your little one. Have a happy and safe summer!
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
Organic · FSSAI Certified · NABL Lab certified Buy Sprouted Sathumaavu Health Mix powder for Babies / Homemade Cerelac Dry Fruits Powder for Babies/Toddlers Pancake Mixes for Toddlers