The rains bring a lot of joy – but they also bring illnesses! Keep sickness at bay with our garlic milk recipe – a cough and cold remedy for toddlers.
The rainy season is truly a magical time, when the very smell of the wet earth can evoke all kinds of emotions within us. However, if you’re a parent, there’s another feeling that comes with the monsoon – fear, of illnesses!
Yes, cold and cough is common during this season. Rather than opt for OTC medication, Indian Moms have been tackling this with healing ingredients like garlic, turmeric and hing, which help to build immunity. Garlic is actually a medicinal herb filled with the antibacterial properties. Studies have revealed that consuming garlic reduces the symptoms of fever and also helps in fast recovery.
Our garlic milk remedy is packed with all these benefits and more, and is perfect to treat cold and cough. Apart from this you can also use check out our list of cold and cough remedies.
Garlic Milk Cough and Cold Remedy for Toddlers
1. Take garlic cloves and roughly mince them in a mortar and pestle. Set this aside for 5 minutes.
2. Boil milk in a saucepan until frothy.
3. Lower the flame.
4. Add minced garlic and palm jaggery.
5. Mix well and boil it further for 5 minutes in low flame.
6. Strain the milk and serve warm.
Note : Approximately 25 ml or one to three tablespoon of milk can be given in morning or night before bed, once or twice a week. When introducing for first time start in small quantities.
This remedy is for babies above 1 year as we have used milk and palm sugar. Palm sugar is good for digestive health. This natural sweetener activates digestive enzymes which results in cleansing of the entire digestive system. Almost all babies like the sweetness of palm sugar and hence it’s easy for moms to use it as a natural remedy for cold and cough in toddlers.
- Milk - 1.5 cups
- Palm Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Take garlic cloves and roughly mince them in a mortar and pestle. Set this aside for 5 minutes.
- Boil milk in a saucepan until frothy.
- Lower the flame.
- Add minced garlic and palm jaggery.
- Mix well and boil it further for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Strain the milk and serve warm.