Since childhood, I’ve always enjoyed fancy dress competitions – it’s so much fun to see all those kids looking so different! So when my son had his first fancy dress competition at his preschool, I think I was more excited than him! The theme was ‘sea animals’ and the options were dolphin, shark, seal, octopus,
DIY Jellyfish Costume for Kids
Things you’ll need:
- A wide brimmed hat, like a Sombrero (I used a straw hat which I had bought from Goa)
- Bubble wrap
- Blue wrapping sheet
- Ribbon wire led lights
- 9 volt battery
- Blue feather
- White feather
- Blue ribbon
- Strings of blue wool
Directions to make:
1. Cover the hat with blue wrapping sheet. Once done, cover it again with a sheet of bubble wrap.
2. Attach battery operated lights all over bubble wrap and tape battery packs to underside of hat with tape. Cover the lights with two sheets of bubble wrap. When lit, the lights will shine through the bubble wrap and reflect the blue sheet under it.
3. Sew the white and blue feathers on the rim of the hat. I also added foam letters that said ‘JELLYFISH’ as well as my son’s name.
4. Cut the ribbons to desired length and curl them for a ‘watery’ effect. Cut out some more strips of bubble wrap and attach these along with the ribbons to the underside of the hat.
That’s it – the major part’s over! To complete the costume, my son wore a plain black T-shirt and track pants. White or blue would also work. Just add the hat and you have the most adorable jellyfish ever!
Kanika has a Masters in computer science and is now a stay at home mom to a cute little boy, Onish. She loves to cook and tries new and yummy recipes to get her fussy toddler to eat healthy.