Introducing the Edible Play Dough Recipe! Concerned about my son eating regular play dough, I discovered this extraordinary solution. With excitement, we embarked on a playful culinary adventure, embracing the mess. The resulting edible play dough surpassed expectations—soft and delicious. Now, my son can explore his creativity and satisfy his curiosity safely. Let me share this marvel and reignite joy in your playtime too!
Let’s embark on a delightful journey as we explore the step-by-step process of making the enchanting Edible Play Dough!
Ingredients for play dough recipe
- Plain all-purpose flour
- Cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- Food colors – Whether you prefer liquid or powder form, both work perfectly fine. In my case, I opted for powder and mixed it with water to create a vibrant color solution.
- To begin our play dough recipe, grab a large bowl, serving as the canvas for our masterpiece. Pour in the plain all-purpose flour, setting the foundation for our edible creation.
- Now, let’s introduce the salt into the play dough recipe. The salt not only adds a touch of flavor but also helps to preserve the dough and extend its shelf life. Measure and add the required amount of salt, ensuring it’s evenly distributed within the flour.
- It’s time to introduce the wet ingredients that will bring our play dough recipe to life! Pour water into the bowl, followed by 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. The oil acts as a binding agent and imparts a desirable softness and malleability to the dough.
- Get ready for some hands-on kneading action! Start kneading the play dough recipe, allowing the flour, salt, water, and oil to merge harmoniously. If the dough feels too dry, you can add a little more oil to achieve the desired consistency.
5. Keep in mind that the play dough in this recipe should be fun and pliable, but not overly sticky. If you encounter stickiness, gradually sprinkle more flour into the mixture, kneading it in until the play dough reaches the desired consistency.
6.Once the play dough reaches a soft and malleable consistency, it’s time to unleash your creativity with colors! Divide the dough into small sections, with each one serving as a blank canvas for your colorful imagination in this play dough recipe.
7.Let’s infuse vibrant hues into our play dough! Create small craters or wells in each dough section and pour your chosen food colors into them. Feel free to explore a variety of colors to make your playtime truly captivating.
8. To easily incorporate colors into the dough, it’s recommended to use a glove, such as a surgical glove or kitchen glove. This prevents the dough from sticking to your hands. Before you start, lubricate the glove with a little oil to ensure smoother mixing. Remember to use a separate glove for each color or wash it between color transitions in this play dough recipe.
9. Alternatively, for a convenient mixing method, place the play dough and your desired color in a zip lock polythene bag. Securely seal the bag, then knead and massage the dough through the bag, watching the colors blend seamlessly. This method keeps your hands clean while achieving vibrant colored dough in this play dough recipe.
10. With an exclamation of joy, behold your marvelous creation! Your Edible Play Dough recipe now stands before you, ready to inspire imagination, creativity, and endless hours of playtime bliss.
Master the perfect consistency and delight your child with this homemade Edible Play Dough Recipe. Share your photos at [email protected] for a chance to be featured on My Little Moppet’s Facebook page. Stay tuned for a natural food color version!
or liking my Facebook pageMy Little Moppet
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
If you have any queries or doubts in the recipe, please post a comment or mail me at [email protected]. I will get back to you ASAP. Thank you
1. What is Plain all purpose flour?
Plain all purpose flour is refined wheat or Maida.
2. What food can colors be used?
Any branded food color can be used, either in liquid or powdered form.
3. Can this play dough be stored?
Yes, this edible play dough can be stored in an airtight container for more than a month.
4. Can the play dough be made by kids?
Yes, it is easy for the kids to make but please don’t allow them to mix the colors.
Edible Play Dough Recipe
- Plain all purpose flour
- Cooking oil I used sunflower oil
- Food colors - The food colors can either be liquid or powder. I used a powder to which I added water to make a solution.
- Take the flour in a large bowl.
- To the flour add the required amount of salt.
- Pour water into the flour and 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil in it.
- Knead the dough evenly, if required more oil can be added.
- If it is sticky, add more flour.
- When a soft consistency is attained, make the dough into small sections with craters.
- In the craters pour the food colors.
- Use a glove ( I have used a surgical glove, as we have a bunch always at home, kitchen gloves also work fine) to mix individual dough. Please lubricate the gloves with oil, as the dough may stick with the glove.
- Please use separate glove for each color or wash after mixing each color.
- Alternative method, the dough can be placed in a zip lock polythene bag, close the zip and knead the dough into the color required.
- Viola!!! Your Edible Play Dough is ready!!!
You might also be interested in our post 27 Wonderful Wooden Toys for 1 to 3 year olds – Safe, Non Toxic, and Full of Fun & Learning