Please read the Rotavirus Vaccination-FAQs article to know about the basics of Rotaviral Vaccine before reading about their side effects.
Like all vaccines, Rotavirus vaccine can cause mild side effects which are temporary and not life-threatening.
1. I heard about a serious side effect of Rotavirus Vaccine, are they true?
Yes, they are true, rotavirus vaccine may cause Intussusception but it is Very Rare. The incidence of hospitalization for Intussusception in India was 5.9 per 1,00,000 infant years and all the patients tested negative for rotavirus from the intestinal tissue sample.
In the USA, it was found out that the highest risk of babies affected by intussusception was within the first 7 days after the first dose. In India, no studies are available regarding this detail.
2. What are the side effects of Rotavirus vaccine?
Most babies who are vaccinated against Rotavirus do not have any problems.
Mild side effects may occur, the baby may become irritable, with mild diarrhea and vomiting.
3. How do we know whether the side effects are mild or are they are the signs of Intussusception?
Contact your health care provider, if the following symptoms occur (even if it is more than 30 days after vaccine administration)
- Severe Diarrhoea and Vomiting.
- Baby incessantly crying (maybe stomach pain)
- Baby while crying will look pale and draw up its legs.
- Blood in stools.
- High Fever.
4. What is Intussusception? How common is it?
Intussusception is a condition wherein one part of bowel moves into another, like pieces of a telescope.This may lead to bowel obstruction. Prompt detection and treatment will help in rapid recovery.
In India, it is estimated that the incidence of hospitalization is 5.9 per 1,00,000 infant years.
5. Why are the CDC, FDA, and Rotavirus Manufacturers are monitoring the Rotavirus vaccine for Intussusception?
It is because the first generation Rotavirus Vaccine, Rotashield was withdrawn from the market in 1999 due to higher risk for Intussusception.
Although neither Rotarix and Rota Teq are associated with intussusception in clinical trials, there is always a chance of the side effect to occur. So these agencies are constantly monitoring the vaccinations and if any adverse effects occur, they have immediately researched whether it is of rotaviral vaccination.
In conclusion, the benefits of administering the vaccine against rotaviral diarrhea outweigh the minimal side effects caused by the vaccine.
If you have any more queries, please leave a comment below, or Contact Me. I will get back to you ASAP.
Please leave your valuable feedback as how useful were this Q & A session. Waiting to hear from you…..
To receive the updates directly to your inbox, sign for our newsletter for free Here. We promise not to spam your inbox 🙂
The information presented here is meant as a guide and does not replace professional medical advice. You should always discuss your baby’s vaccination with your doctor.
1. a) http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819132
2. http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineSideEffects.aspx? Condition=Vaccinations%20(all)&medicine=Rotarix&preparation=
3.a) http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.rxlist.com/rotarix-side-effects- drug-center.htm